Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Welcome Wagon Introduction

Just in time to be greeted by the welcome wagon. By the way, the welcome wagon consists of me....that's it. So welcome and I am so glad that you stopped by. 

Want to know a secret? I'll tell you anyways. I just turned 45.....yep......45 years old. The last 20 years seemed to have somehow snuck up on me and passed me right by. Okay, it's not like I don't remember the last 20 years, I just realized that they are gone. My oldest son is turning 21 in a few months, and my (please pardon the term) baby is turning 18 years old in less than 2 weeks. How did that happen? When? More importantly, who said they could just grow up like that. I feel so.......what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah. Old. That's the one. It wouldn't be so bad, but "Mr. Almost 21" and his girlfriend are expecting a child in March. Obviously all of those talks over the years about protection went in one ear and out the other. At this point the only thing I can do is be a supportive mother. Things could be worse, a lot worse. 

I've been a Grandma for 4 years, and wouldn't change it for the world. My oldest (step)daughter is now 28 and she has a 4 year old. I have had the pleasure of watching her grow from a teenager into a wonderful young lady and mother. My 4 year old grandson lights up the room. He is such a joy! As any proud grandparent knows, he's the best grandson on earth. They all are.

Anyways, I have been a stay-at-home mom for 20 years, minus a few years of part-time student employment work while I went back to school for a degree. But I was still there in the mornings, afternoons, for field trips, soccer games, floor hockey games, swim meets, popcorn sales, projects, chauffeuring, birthday parties, story times, homework, family dinners every night, and anything else you can possibly imagine. You know the drill. You may have even been there yourself. 

Well, after 20 years on the same job, taking care of everyone else, I have realized that I haven't taken care of myself. To the best of my ability that is. My husband is wonderful and often uses words like beautiful, pretty, sexy, wonderful.....yeah, he's actually talking to me. Yes, he's actually talking about me. Really? We needn't go there....ok? However, when I look in the mirror and step on the bathroom scale, I just know I can do better at taking care of myself. Honestly, I am heavier than I have ever been, without being pregnant. This is not okay, because I'm not exercising and eating healthy. While my eating habits could be a lot worse, they could be a whole lot better. And exercising should at least be a common word in my vocabulary. It's for my health. 

Oh, the other thing. Next autumn, extremely close to my birthday, a family member is getting married. I do not want to go to yet another family function and feel like the largest person in the room. As a birthday gift to myself, I am giving the gift of living a healthier lifestyle. I won't lie to you.....I don't promise to be a vegan triathele by next autumn. It's not going to happen. But I do plan on being a better, healthier version of myself. You gotta start someplace. 

A few other small things......I will not post every day.....and I won't step on the scale everyday.  And most importantly, I will not ever....ever....ever have a post this long again. Ever!!!! I promise. Oh, and I will not post a picture of my behind.....that's just wrong. No one wants to see all that. 

There you have it, My Mid-Trifecta: at Mid-Life, my Mid-Section is way too large, and I'm Mid-Way there to thinking that I can do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment